Thursday, May 21, 2009

Q&A with Yell County!



Explain your band's name and how you formed.
Joel:Yell County is a county in Arkansas where Joel grew up. We formed for the sheer hell of it, actually. That and somebody has to show people that there's still rock bands that aren't feckless sellout droogs.

Alex:
Joel and I had a band in the late 80's (or was it early 90's) called Yellowcake. A few years ago, Joel and I started talking about playing again and the rest is history. I met Arthur through a friend. At the time Joel and I were looking for a new bassist. Arthur fit the bill perfectly.

Arthur: Yell County is this mythical place in Arkansas where Joel grew up. I don't get it, I think something is up. Every 3rd person we meet say they're from there. It's like all a big lie & the joke is on me. As far as I can tell, Joel & Alex have been playing music together since 1961 & had basically burned through every bass player in DC, it was only a matter of time until they got to me (and I'm burning now).


What are your influences and worst equipment experiences?
Joel: The Move, The Kinks, The Who, the Undertones, old black dudes with crappy guitars and Cold War numbers stations.

Alex:
Mine are the drummers for what I call my big five: AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Queen, and Deep Purple. I love the punk rock but my roots are really in 70's hard rock. Once I practiced with some guys by playing a broken hi-hat and a snare drum perched on top of a milk crate. Nothing gets in the way of the rock!

Arthur: Drugs. And the time I sold my equipment for drugs.


What's your favorite local hangout and best stage you've played?
Joel: My house. The old 9:30 Club.

Alex:
Right now my favorite hang out is probably the Quarry House in Silver Spring. CBGB's. There was so much history and sweat on that stage and in that sound system. That place was like Mecca to me.

Arthur: Java Shack in Arlington. But now that Murky Coffee has closed the self important are slowly finding their way there, all noblesse and no oblige they are.

Where can the adoring public see you next?
Saturday, May 30th @ Gin & Tonic for Charm Fest 2009 -- a benefit for St. Lukes homeless shelter. 2408 Wisconsin Ave. WDC

See Yell County on the music stage at 4:15 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment