Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Q&A with Essential E Paper



What is your craft all about?
My note cards and journals are made with upcycled magazines or books being discarded from local libraries. I am a crafty dumpster diver! These books are being tossed because they have been written in or are ripped up or often just because they are just outdated. I am a kindergarten teacher and one day was walking past the dumpster at the public library and saw stacks and stacks of books in their trash. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest. I went inside and asked if I could crawl into their dumpster and pull the books out. They thought I was crazy, but I figured I could surely find a better use for the books than the trash. Now I hit up all the local public libraries on a regular basis and crawl through their trash. At first I just gave my books and cards to friends, but then they convinced me to start selling them. I adore making my paper goods; I sit and giggle the entire time at the old illustrations and wording of things.



What inspires you to make what you make?
As a true southern girl, I was raised to revere the art of letter-writing. I'm sad to see this art dying off with the onset of technology and hope that my cards inspire you to drop someone a note. What is more fun or exciting than real mail in your box when you arrive home from work!?! In addition, I am a self reflection junkie. I can't help but pick up a neat journal when I see one. I hope that my journals inspire people to do a little self reflecting of their own- put your own thoughts to paper! I also love my work because I feel like I am rescuing these works from a sad death in the trash. Lastly, I simply adore paper!



What is your favorite piece/product you will have with you at the Handmade Mart?
I just got a fabulous vintage Cinderella book out of the dumpster at the library this weekend, the journals that I've started on are just gorgeous! I almost want to keep them for myself.



Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart?
http://essentialepaper.etsy.com.

Find me at booth #16!

No comments:

Post a Comment