Thursday, May 28, 2009

Q&A with TurningPointe Press



What is your craft all about?
My artist books tend to be autobiographical, touching on universal themes that we experience in life. To keep things light, I simply love the whimsy and joy of my tutu series and inspiring quotes by famous dancers.

While I'm drawn to boxes as a metaphor for rich and layered psychological space, I love having access to beautiful things that are useful in everyday life. My daily journaling inspires the blank journals I create, as well.


What inspires you to make what you make?
My background as a dancer informs both content and form in my work. There is a certain delicacy to my work, made durable by the inner strength of solid and archival materials.
My passion for the book arts started with taking a papermaking workshop at Pyramid Atlantic. I tend to use handmade paper in most of my work - I love the translucency and crispness of abaca, the dance of long strands of kozo in a sheet, and delicate paste paper patterns.



What is your favorite piece/product you will have with you at the Handmade Mart?
A miniature accordion book that transforms into a wearable tutu. I made the paper, sewed layers of tulle and used genuine pointe shoe ribbon from the same dancewear shop – Artistic Dance Fashions in Bethesda – that I got all of my pointe shoes from as a dancer.



Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart?
On my website http://www.turningpointepress.com and in my Etsy shop: http://www.bookartistko.etsy.com.

Find me at booth #36!

No comments:

Post a Comment