Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Q&A with El Jefe Design



What is your craft all about?
I create limited edition, hand done, screen printed posters for bands as well as art prints. My subjects range from cute dragons to half-naked luchadores to arty-looking stuff.



What inspires you to make what you make?
I have always loved making posters and was inspired by artists like Edward Gorey, Mucha, and Steingold. I love the idea of working BIG and getting in small jokes and details that take repeat viewing to get.



What is your favorite piece/product you will have with you at theHandmade Mart?
I love each piece we do like a new born baby. If I had to pick one, it would need to be the Flight of the Conchords poster I just did for their show in DC. The poster depicts Albi the Racist Dragon discovering his jelly bean tear drops and not becoming racist anymore. Perfect for any kid's room.



Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart?
You can find my work on my site at http://www.eljefedesign.com/ as well as various gallery shows like the one coming up in June at the Civilian Arts Project.

Find me at booth #39!

No comments:

Post a Comment