Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vendor Q&A with Printlike



What is your craft all about?

Printlike offers thoughtful and clever screenprinted tees, textiles, and field bags, as well as letterpress cards and ephemera.



Where has your craft taken you?
I put my custom printing business on hiatus in 2007 while I attended school in Austin, Texas. I recently returned home to DC to launch Printlike and continue churning out fun handprinted goods. My area of expertise also includes the design of educational and participatory “printlike” events, such as CMYK Day (Read more: http://laurakinneberg.com/)

What is your favorite piece/product you will have with you at the Handmade Mart?
I have a new series called Specific Souvenir that commemorates the forgotten, extinct, overlooked, or trivial things and places unique to D.C. It’s meant to inspire local pride beyond what the museums and marble monuments are about. My work has always involved off-kilter nostalgia—from retro graphics about hair-dos to archaic printing techniques. Now I’m applying that nostalgia to this place as I get reacquainted with my hometown.



What inspires you to make what you make? I’m inspired whenever the ordinary or mundane can be shown in a new or different light. I like the challenge of turning something generic like a souvenir tee or postcard into a more meaningful and specific thing.



Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart? Folks can find my readymade products and contact me about custom projects through my Etsy shop: http://www.printlike.etsy.com. My experimental prints and installations are on view here: http://laurakinneberg.com.

Visit me at booth #44!

No comments:

Post a Comment