Friday, November 13, 2009

Vendor Q&A with Lemon Cadet



How did you get started in your craft?
I've been sewing by hand for as long as I can remember. My first project was a little purse out of scrap fabric. My mom explained to me how to make the buttonhole slightly wider than the button, and my love of a needle and thread has not waned since. My mom also taught me how to use a sewing machine and I use both interchangeably. Although I have a master's degree in photography, I keep coming back to more traditional crafts.


What inspires you to make what you make?
The Lemon Cadet designs are inspired by things outside and the silly stuff my daughter does. I'm also thrilled by all the new fabric prints available. Sometimes I get ideas just from looking at fabric. I love vintage and reproduction fabrics and I love to mix them with modern elements.



What techniques do you use?
I've been stuck on applique for a few years now. Just like photography, it's a very involved process that requires a lot of steps. I use that time ironing and cutting and then ironing again to think. I have a full-time job as a teacher and that kid I mentioned before so I need some downtime.



What is your favorite piece/product you will have with you at the Handmade Mart? I've been moving away from applique into creating my own designs for kids. I should have a few pinafores for toddler girls available will be taking custom orders.

Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart?
I have stuff at a few consignment shops and children's boutiques but I'm always on Etsy (http://www.LemonCadet.com).

Visit me at booth #32!

No comments:

Post a Comment