Monday, November 16, 2009

Vendor Q&A with Bookish Lady


What is your craft all about?
Letterpress printing has been around for centuries, but it's enjoying a renaissance because anything printed this way looks wonderful. The type presses into the paper leaving a great tactile impression. I like the contradiction of using this fusty old-fashioned technology to make sometimes irreverent or flirty notes.



What inspires you to make what you make? I like to make things that I would enjoy using. Postcards to send for no reason, calling cards to give somebody cute my number, fun paper to wrap presents in. It makes those objects more fun by putting a more personal, handmade spin on them and recalling an era when people put more thought into correspondence and other social interactions.



What techniques do you use?
I use vintage metal and wood type and newfangled photopolymer technology to design my letterpressed items. Then I print each one by hand on Vandercook and Chandler & Price printing presses at Pyramid Atlantic.

Visit me at booth #14!

No comments:

Post a Comment