Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vendor Q&A with Oh Ginger



What is your craft all about?

My craft extends far beyond Oh Ginger and includes my desire to make the things I need above and beyond mainstream consuming. The crafts I design for Oh Ginger use interesting textures, vintage ephemera, bold and exciting colors and affordable materials. The crafts I create in my day to day life run the gamut from curtains to cookies. Both facets of my crafting life are full of fun, simplicity, and whimsy.



How did you get started in your craft?
Though my my mother and grandmother are the root of my crafting abilities, two years ago I sprained my ankle and was sidelined on the sofa for the 4th of July weekend. A few weeks prior, I learned about Etsy through a coworker and was amazed at the abundant creativity and craftiness. I pulled out some old supplies that I hadn't touched in years and began making. I haven't stopped since.



Where has your craft taken you?
Far, far beyond anything I ever imagined, to be honest. It's brought me closer to my peers in ways I never dreamed possible. It has made the relationship between my mom and I even closer. Crafting is magical. Through it I've been able to make a ton of new friends, I started my blog (http://www.queeringdomesticity.com) and I also helped start the nation's only queer craft group, the Queer Crafter Collective (http://www.queercraftercollective.com). Perhaps the most significant lesson I've learned from craft is that, like most things, it intersects with so many other facets of the human experience - crafting is political, personal and all about community.



Where can folks find your craft outside the Handmade Mart?
Most everything I create is available at www.ohginger.com!

Visit me at booth #20!

No comments:

Post a Comment